Sunday, June 3, 2012

6.3.12




Most often, Monarch caterpillars are docile creatures, unless another invades in another's feeding territory. I believe that this is what happened to this caterpillar.  I am assuming that a caterpillars blood is green, just like its feces, because all it consumes are Milkweed leaves.


{FINDINGS}
0 eggs
0 caterpillars

{EGGS WAITING TO HATCH}
0

{HATCHLINGS}
0

{NURSERY GUESTS}
0

{CATERPILLARS}
54 Total
21 large {+/- 9-14 days old}
15 medium {8 days old}
13 small {4 & 6 days old}
4 chrysalis

***I woke up to find one of my larger caterpillars in a pool of his own green blood. I have been seeing a few feisty caterpillars biting at one another if they happen to touch each other while they are eating, and I know that hatchlings can consume each other if they can't find a food source just after hatching - but this was crazy, and sad.

***There are also three more chrysalis' hanging- and I couldn't be more thrilled!  I did miss two of the shedding their skin, but I enjoyed watching the third with my four-and-a-half year old son, and he was just as amazed!



No comments:

Post a Comment