Wednesday, June 6, 2012

6.6.12




It has been NINE days since I've has an egg hatch--- meaning two things;
1. No new generations
2. All of my caterpillars are getting HUGE!


So I decided to do some research, and I found that Monarch butterflies are born in four generations per year!  Good to know, because I've been wondering why my plants were no longer being visited by adult Monarchs!


From what I have read, it seems that the last generation of the season (the fourth) are the Monarch's the over-winter in California and Mexico.  This same '4th Generation' gently hibernates- sustaining itself mostly just on the raindrops and dew, with an occasional fluttering out in search for nectar if its is sunny and warm enough- but basically, just resting in groves for 6ish months.  As the weather warms, this '4th Generation' heads north and deposits eggs along its route.  Traditionally, each generation of Monarch butterflies only lives for about 6 weeks, so when a previos generation's days come to a close, the new generation rises up to fulfill the duty of inhabiting the earth! ;)


I'm still checking my plants, and I'm eagerly anticipating our next generation!  Hmmm, I wonder if our Monarch's are born from the eggs of those who over-wintered in the South, or if they are the descendants of the first generations born south of Michigan... I guess I'll have to see how many generations I'm able to take part in raising this season!




{FINDINGS}
0 eggs
0 caterpillars

{EGGS WAITING TO HATCH}
0

{HATCHLINGS}
0

{NURSERY GUESTS}
0

{CATERPILLARS}
30 Total
21 large
9 medium
0 small

{CHRYSALIS}
20

{MONARCH's}
0

No comments:

Post a Comment